Your Chromebook automatically checks for and downloads updates when connected to Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Sometimes you might need to finish an update that has already downloaded.
Finish an update
- When your Chromebook downloads a software update, at the bottom right, look for the "Update available" notification.
- Select Restart to Update.
- Your Chromebook will restart and update.
To check for updates yourself
- Turn on your Chromebook.
- Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
- Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
- Select Check for updates.
- If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.
Note: If your Chromebook uses your phone's internet connection or its own mobile data, you'll get an alert about how much mobile data it needs to update. You can then stop or continue with the update.